What is Aquaponics?
- Aquaponics is the combination of Aquaculture (growing fish) & Hydroponics.
- Aquaponic systems vary in size from small counter top units to large commercial units. They can be based on fresh or salt water.
- No chemicals or additional nutrients need to be added to feed the plants!!
- Herbs and green leafy vegetables are the most common plants grown in an aquaponics system.
- A 250 Gallons tank will support between 50 and 80 fish. That will support between 300 and 350 Gallons of grow beds taken assuming the beds are about 12inches deep.
A healthy aquaponics system needs all chlorine removed from the water. You also need to keep the oxygen level up for the fish to survive. The temperature of water is very important for fish survival. A drop or increase in water temperature can be a shock to the fish. Testing for ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are important maintenance procedures. The optimal PH range is between 7 and 7.5. Maintaining water quality is critical to successful aqauponics.
We have an array of supplies to build your aquaponic systems. Other than live fish, we’ve got it all. Our largest tanks in stock are 250 gallons.